Västerdrottningens tips that gets you the best secondhand finds
Thea Holmqvist, aka Västerdrottningen, is a master at flea market bargains and shares her best tips for finding the right one.
1. It is easy to forget to check for a tea strainer if you are also looking for boots, a ceiling lamp and picture frames in three different sizes. So, write a list of what you need! Preferably in a place you can easily access and often have with you - type it in your mobile.
2. Measure before! It is super annoying if you are looking for a sofa, find a sofa - and do not know if it fits in your home. If you are going home and measuring, it is not certain that the sofa is left when you get back. So measure before and have the measurements with you - or why not make a simple sketch for each room, so you are sure even with spontaneous findings?
3. Dare to change. Repaint, change fittings. Go to someone more knowledgeable if you do not want / can fix it yourself. And dare to think outside the box, that flowerpot might be a cool lamp if you turn it over?
4. Do your thing. Ignore what is trendy - if you chase it, you will soon be back again in search of something "new". Based on your needs and your own style, build and complement.
5. Dare to ask staff on site! It can feel overwhelming to check every nook and cranny sometimes. They often know if, and where, what you are looking for is. Sometimes, as in the case of my juice maya, it's still in the back of the warehouse.
Ps. Do not forget the patience! It's worth it in the end.